Southwest Airlines Pet Policy- Bring Fido Onboard with Southwest
Do you fear leaving your pets behind while you go on a beautiful excursion abroad? Well, you do not have to be worried anymore about Southwest. As per the Southwest Airlines Pet policy, you can now bring your dearest pets onboard without any worries. Southwest qualifies as one of the pet-friendly airlines among other careers. So, you can rest assured and bring your furry, winged, or pawed friends onboard with the airline.
Southwest mainly receives high praise for its quality services, and by bringing your beloved pets on their flights, you can still fly with comfort. If you follow the guidelines set by Southwest for pet travel, your pet will be allowed with no restrictions.
The coming subsections will put light on Southwest’s Pet Travel Policy to help you decide whether to bring your pet with them or not.
What is the Southwest Pet Travel Policy?
Pets are the dearest. So, pet lovers always try to bring them on flights and take them everywhere they go. Finding a pet-friendly hotel seems easier than looking up an airline that allows pets to travel without hassles. The Southwest Airlines Pet Policy is a major get-through in this situation which is generous enough for passengers to take their pets onboard. Unless the pet is an emotional support animal, you can follow the rules below and book a Southwest ticket for your pet.
General information on pet policy
Southwest Airlines is aware that it might be challenging to travel with a pet, so they have created a pet policy to comfort all pet-traveling customers. Thanks to this pet policy, you can comprehend the requirements for your pet’s journey.
- Only small, fully vaccinated cats and dogs are allowed in the cabin on domestic flights.
- They need to travel in a suitable pet carrier.
- Passengers traveling to Puerto Rico will have special requirements to fulfill.
- Southwest flights to/from Hawaii allow pets.
- Your cats and dogs must be a minimum of 8 weeks of age.
- You will have to pay for the pet flight fare at the ticket counter.
- Southwest airlines security scans all pet carriers, so you must hold your pet while the carrier goes through the security x-ray device.
- Southwest doesn’t permit pets in the cargo hold.
- According to the Southwest Airlines pet policy, no documentation is required for vaccination on domestic flights.
- In all airports, a special relief area is designated for the pet.
- Flights will not be delayed if you take your pet to the relief area.
- Southwest doesn’t allow Unaccompanied minors to travel with pets.
southwest doesn’t allow pets on board showing aggressive behavior The following are examples of such behavior.
- Extreme barking, whining, or scratching.
- Relieving in the aircraft cabin or the gate area
- Aggressive behaviors like biting, growling, or lunging
Exempted routes for pets
- Southwest doesn’t permit pets on international routes.
- Southwest doesn’t permit pets to/from Hawaii.
- Southwest permits pets between the Hawaiian islands.
Note: If you want to know more about the Southwest Airlines dog policy or cat policy, you can contact the customer service of Southwest Airlines.
Being proactive will always help you save time and make your pet more comfortable when you travel with them. To achieve that, it is crucial to review the airline’s pet policy.
We’ve included all the information you need to travel comfortably with your pet in this post.
If your pet is not entirely at ease in the pet carrier, it will be physically and emotionally taxing for them. To learn more about the pet policy southwest airlines regarding the standards followed by the airline for pet carriers is listed below.
General pet carrier requirements
- The pet will have to be in the pet carrier from the gate area until you deplane and leave the airport. Southwest cancels your pet transportation if you don’t comply with this rule.
- Airlines allow one pet per passenger.
- One pet carrier can contain a maximum of two pets of the same species.
- Southwest permits a maximum of six pet carriers on board.
- Southwest accepts pets on a first-come basis.
- The pet carrier should be comfortable enough for your pet to move around comfortably.
- Southwest airlines consider pet carriers as personal items or carry-on bags.
- So you must board the plane with your carry-on bag or pet carrier.
- Passengers can check in pet strollers for free
Dimensional requirements of pet carriers
- The dimensions of the pet carrier by Southwest: 17″(L) x 10″(W) x 9.5″(H).
- Other pet carriers measure 18.5″ (L) x 13.5″ (W) x 9.5″ (H)
Structural requirement of pet carrier
- Specifically designed as a pet carrier.
- It should be absolutely leaf-proof.
- Pet carriers should have good ventilation.
- Within the permitted dimensions mentioned above
Pet reservations and fares
Southwest Airlines is famous for its affordable and reasonable fares and is considered one of the best airlines for cheap travel. Southwest Airlines booking for pet tickets is likewise not too expensive for your wallet. Scroll down to learn more about the prices and the booking process.
- Contact Southwest at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA to learn more about Southwest airline booking for your pet.
- Southwest can carry six pet carriers in exceptional cases.
- You will have to pay $95 per pet carrier for one-way flights.
- If your flight is canceled or you cancel your flight, your pet fare is refundable. Call customer service or get a refund from the ticket counter.
- You can pay for your pet using any of the accepted credit cards, and you can pay for your pet’s travel at the airline ticket counter.
- Your pets are not eligible for Rapid Reward points.
- Presently, Southwest Airlines doesn’t permit live animals as checked baggage services.
- No air cargo facility is provided for live animals.
- Southwest flies to many popular routes in the United States, Mexico, and the Caribbean.
- Southwest only transports puppies or kittens over 8 weeks of age.
Southwest Airlines pets policy is extremely flexible and prepared for the comfort of passengers. So, when flying with Southwest Airlines, don’t be concerned about your pet.
Frequently Asked Questions
What size dogs can fly on Southwest?
Southwest Airlines’ pet carrier measures 17″ (L) x 10″ (W) x 9.5″ (H).
Dimensions of your pet carrier: 18.5″ (L) x 13.5″ (W) x 9.5″ (H).