Shipping items looks like a complex thing. But not anymore with Southwest Airlines cargo. Southwest keeps its processes and policies simple. No wonder, it brings you quick and smart services with smooth shipping. Moreover, Southwest Cargo provides an unbeatable accelerated air cargo service with its vast network of more than 3,400 flights.
Moreover, its reliability and high frequency flight schedule have marked its excellence in air cargo service.
Are you looking forward to a shipment? Count on Southwest for efficient services. And you will look up to it time and again for your shipments. Now, let’s get to know more about it.
How to Get Started with Southwest Cargo?
The airline facilitates you to book your cargo space online up to 10 days in advance.
for your Next Flight Guaranteed shipments. Make sure that your shipments are within 200 lbs.
Now, let’s see how to start with it.
- Apply for an online booking account to get started!
- Your application is processed within 1 to 7 business days.
- Set up your account.
- Once your account with Southwest is approved, the airline will send you an email from [email protected] with information on the setting up process.
- Add your locations and users to your account.
- Establish your Southwest airlines air cargo shipping locations
- Upload your Air Waybill numbers
- Other users who can access the account
- Book your first shipment
Why Should I Choose Southwest Air Cargo?
When you select Southwest cargo for your shipment, you have a host of benefits such as –
- No online booking fees
- Before 10 days of the scheduled departure, you can book your shipment space.
- You can also book your shipment on the next available flight or get your money back. (50% service assured on any NFG shipments that are booked or sent across on routes having multiple connections.)
- Check your online booking history.
- Contact and customer address book management
- Instant online booking status
How to Ship Your Items with Southwest?
Things are uncomplicated and smooth with Southwest airlines cargo. No wonder, you get efficient services and effortless shipping.
Follow these steps to start shipping –
Fill out an application form on the official website of Southwest to become a Southwest Cargo Customer.
- Once the airline approves your Southwest Cargo Account, you can start shipping with Southwest Cargo.
- Apply for an online booking account.
- Book your NFG shipments up to 200 pounds up to ten days in advance.
Select your item/product
Choose the required speed for your shipment and the staff will take care of the rest.
Fill in the air waybill
Prior to heading to the facility, make sure that you have duly filled out a universal air waybill.
For international shipping, you have to get connected with your General Sales Agent for advance booking of your shipment.
Bring your shipment to a local facility
Select from more than 100 shipping destinations.
How to Track Your Southwest Cargo?
Southwest understands the importance of your cargo. So, the airline makes sure to keep you posted and help you with your Southwest airlines cargo tracking throughout the shipment period. To get your air waybill status updates, you can sign up for real-time notifications. And if you want to book your shipment in advance, open an online booking account.
Here’s how you can track your shipment –
Enter your air waybill number or your account number. And use the airline’s tracking tool to get updated information.
Choose from Air Waybill Number and Advanced Search.
Tracking with Air Waybill Number
If you opt for Air Waybill Number, follow the steps mentioned below –
- Mention the airline code and the 8-digit air waybill.
- If you have another air waybill, hit the + button and add it.
You can add a maximum of 10 Air Waybills.
- Once done, click on the Track button.
Tracking with Advanced Search Option
If you choose Advanced Search, you can track your Southwest airlines cargo shipments for a specific day. For this, you have to provide a Cargo account number and the date desired.
You can track by your account number only 10 days before the arrival date of the shipment.
- Enter the information required in the respective fields –
- Master account number
- Shipment date
- From the dropdown menu, select
- Now, to verify your account, go to the Account Verification section.
- To protect your shipping information privacy, enter one valid air waybill number. Mention the respective date when the shipment was tendered for transit.
- The Air Waybill must –
- Have been shipped in the last 10 days
- Have a Southwest Cargo Account and paid by it
- Weigh at least 16 ounces
- As the next verification step, mention the following –
- Airline code
- 8-digit air waybill
- Air waybill tender date
- Once done, click on the Track button.
And you will get your Southwest air cargo tracking updates.
Which are the Southwest Specialty Shipments?
Southwest treats all the shipments as special items and handles each with care. However, there are items that demand some extra care. Let’s take a look at those –
From fresh flowers to live crabs, you can send the perishables in the Southwest cargo and those will be delivered in their best condition.
The airline knows the importance of treating human remains with maximum respect and care. That’s why, its With Heart service transports for mortuary or funeral and ensures that people’s loved ones reach their eternal resting place carefully.
This is the most critical shipment as it aims at saving lives. Since Southwest cargo airlines has expertise in shipping, it provides special care and handling to such items.
Which Items are Restricted for Shipping on Southwest Airlines?
The airline ships a vast majority of items. However, there are certain items that are prohibited on the airline. Let’s take a look at some of the items restricted for shipping –
- Money or currency of any kind
- Precious metals or jewelry (other than costume jewelry)
- Hazardous material
- Items that might damage aircraft or other shipments
- Furs and any clothing having fur
- Live, warm-blooded animals
- Poisonous or venomous live animals
- Shipments not suitable for carriage
Shipments prohibited to Hawaii –
- Small animals
In addition to the above, shipments that don’t comply with applicable laws and Customs and other Government regulations of any jurisdiction to, from, or through which the shipment may be carried will not be accepted.
Moreover, there are items for Southwest cargo flights that are subject to advance arrangements. Take a look here.
Advance Arrangements Shipments
To request advance arrangements, contact the airline’s Cargo Customer Care Center at 1 (800) 533-1222. You can request for shipments –
- That need special safety and care en route
- Having unusual shapes or size
- That include liquid content
How Can I Ensure the Safety of My Items with Southwest Shipping?
Opt for Declared Value to get additional coverage for your items. Since the airline considers every item valuable, you might have to send items that demand additional coverage. So, you can cover your precious items with declared value coverage.
The excess declared value of every $100 has $.80 as its coverage cost. And the maximum declared value for your precious Southwest airline cargo for a shipment is –
- NFG (Next Flight Guaranteed) – $ 50,000
- Standard (Southwest Standard) – $ 25,000
- Fresh (Fresh Fast) or Perishables – $ 15,000
- Fragile items of high value – $ 500
How to Pick Up a Shipment?
You can easily get your shipment through Southwest airlines, here are the simple steps –
- Visit swacargo.com to track the air waybill.
- Verify your shipment that has reached its destination.
- Shipments may be received at the destination airport’s cargo facility.
- To pick your shipment, show a government-issued photo ID and the air waybill number.
Accepted Payment Modes
Types of payment accepted at the Southwest cargo facility are –
- Debit and Credit Cards
- American Express
- The airline doesn’t accept cash and cheques.
Other Payment Options
Southwest accepts wire, cheque, or ACH to pay for your billable account.
To be precise, you can conveniently send your items with Southwest flights, thanks to its super efficient and fast cargo services. However, it is important to keep the restrictions and the charges incurred on the shipment type. So as to avoid any hassles and send your items across smoothly.
So, what are you waiting for? Do you have a shipment to send? Count on the services of Southwest airlines cargo for a seamless experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Southwest Airlines allow pets like dogs in cargo?
Who is eligible to create an online booking account on Southwest?
Cargo customers must have a valid shipper ID for an online booking account.