Your upcoming trip with Southwest Airlines is around the corner and you are super excited about it. You want to complete your Southwest airlines check in at the earliest and obtain your boarding pass. The process of check-in at the airline is simple and fast. With the check-in process, you have the privilege to select a seat as you prefer.
The type of tickets that you book, the time you check-in, and the Rapid Rewards also help you select your seats onboard. So, without further ado, let’s begin with the check-in processes and know more about it.
What is Southwest Airlines Check In Policy?
Before you start with your check-in process to board your flight on time, it is good to know the policy devised for check-in at Southwest. Here are the highlights of the Southwest airlines check in policy for your reference –
- You can initiate online check-in before 24 hours of the scheduled departure of your flight, using your confirmation number and name.
- Your check-in also depends on your ticket type. For instance, travelers with Business Select tickets can have priority boarding, better seat selection, and earlier access to overhead bins.
How to Check-in on a Southwest Flight?
When you are done with your booking and traveling preparations, it is time for your Southwest check in. Here are options to complete your check-in with Southwest –
- Visit the official website of Southwest Airlines.
- Go to the Check-in page.
- An online form will open p[rompting you with the message – Check in for your flight.
- Enter your booking confirmation code as well as first and last names.
- Click on the Check-in button.
The airline will send you a text or an email notification for successful check-in.
- Download the app from the App Store or Play Store on your device.
- Sign Up/Login to your account.
- Enter your booking code and last name.
- Follow the prompts like flight selection to check-in.
With Early Bird Check in on Southwest flights, you have to pay a fee and can be among the first few passengers to board the flight. The fee ranges from $15 to $25 per person. It imparts you a better boarding position, gives earlier access to overhead bins, and facilitates automatic check-in.
At the airport
Ticket counter check-in
- Keep your ID proofs handy.
- Provide your photo IDs, booking code, or a print out of the ticket.
- Get a boarding permit to board your flight.
- Proceed to the security checkpoint after submitting the duly filled check-in form.
A few U.S airports allow Southwest airlines check in at the curbside, where the airline offers curbside check-in 24/7.
Self-service kiosk check-in
- Reach a kiosk.
- Provide your photo ID and booking code/PNR.
- Choose seats, if you want.
- Get a boarding permit.
How to Obtain a Southwest Airlines Boarding Pass?
After you are done with Southwest flight check in, you can obtain your boarding pass, whether online or offline as you please.
- You can download your boarding on your smartphone after mobile check-in.
- When you go for web check-in, the airline sends you the boarding pass on your registered email ID.
- You can also print your boarding pass –
- At the airport
- Ticket counter
What are the Southwest Airlines Check-In Timelines?
Arrive at least 2 hours before the scheduled departure of your flight to properly complete the check in for Southwest flights and security checks among other required formalities before boarding the flight.
- Domestic flights – 45 minutes before the departure
- International flights – 30 minutes before the departure
- Domestic flights in the U.S – 2 hours before departure
- International flights in or out of the U.S – 3 hours before departure
So, as soon as you have made a Southwest airlines booking, stay updated with the check-in timelines to do it in time and be free from any last-minute hassles.
Is Southwest Airlines Check-In Free?
Yes, the airline doesn’t charge you any fee to check-in. The process of Southwest check in to flight is free. However, using offline methods to check-in demands extra charges as set.
You can have free first two checked bags in accordance to the dimensions and weight restrictions of the airline. However, for every additional or oversized bag (50+ pounds or larger than 62 inches), you have to pay charges, per way.
In a nutshell, you can have a smooth check-in with Southwest Airlines, thanks to its flexible methods available both online and offline. Additionally, you have the choice to go for Southwest airlines check in for specific travelers as well as an entire group.
So, do you have a trip in the next 24 hours? Hurry! Check-in to your flight now.